Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Newest Brewer

Grant Lincoln Brewer was born at 12:22am on Monday, May 24, 2010, weighing 8 lbs 5 oz, and measuring 20.5 inches long! He came ten (almost eleven) days ahead of his due date. (Compare to Leah: 7 lbs 8 oz, 21.5 inches long, seven days late.)

Everything went so smoothly! We had some wonderful help with Leah from one of Matthew's friends and my mom, even though it was a little sudden. Labor was around six hours. When we got to the hospital, we found out that I was completely dilated and effaced (or, ready to go!). I was in a lot of contraction pain, but I felt mostly in control. I figured that any pain medication I got, wouldn't save me much pain since I was almost done already. (Which was true... we were at the hospital for about 40 minutes before Grant was born, so by the time I would have gotten any drugs--and they were taking their time--I would have only had them in effect for 15 or 20 minutes. In fact, it happened so fast that I was still wearing my regular shirt and jacket until right after Grant was born!) So I gave birth completely drug-free! The only drugs I got were after birth, because I needed a couple of stitches from a very small tear (MUCH better than when Leah was born).

Some thoughts: I never thought I could handle a "natural" birth. I had read a lot about breathing and relaxing, but mostly with the idea that it would help until I could get some medication. These things really helped me through, though. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been. I mean, it was hard and very painful, but I was able to manage it. I felt very blessed and strengthened... there were a few very late contractions here and there that just weren't that bad, and I was so sleepy from a bad night's sleep the night before that it was easy to relax between the really bad ones. I don't know that I would ever plan for another "natural" birth, but I am SO glad I was able to make it through. I am amazed at how fast I felt good afterwards. No epidural = no epidural headaches!!! That might be the best part :)

Anyway, I am feeling great, Grant is nursing great (even that is going so much better this time), and we are all enjoying this brand new baby so much! Last night, he slept between every feeding so we even feel somewhat rested. Leah has been a good girl, but not showing a lot of interest in Grant yet (some, just not a lot). She has been more interested in playing with Grandma.

Okay, picture time!

Saturday, May 22, 2010, at 38 weeks 2 days ("before"):


Monday, May 24, 2010, at 38 weeks 4 days ("after"):


Right after birth:


Our sweet little Grant:


He has lots of dark hair!:


A smile? Kind of:


Leah came to meet her new baby brother at the hospital:


Leah and her mommy:


And just another cute one of Leah:

4 comments:

  1. WOOOOOHOOOO!!!! :) Congrats Sis!!! I can't wait until our kids can see your kids. We're sure thinking about you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! We can't wait to meet him! I can't believe how much hair Grant has! And it is so dark too! I can' t believe you waited so long to get to the hospital too... that will be a funny memory of giving birth drug-free, AND in your regular clothes. So tell me about going into labor... I really hope I don' t have to get induced this time. Did you just not think it was time yet to go to the hospital? Aaron keeps telling me "hoku, this is how we are going to do it this time too! So read up!" What a silly guy... We are so happy Grant is healthy! And what a cute pic of Leah too. Love you guys! Did Matt tell you we were coming for a visit on Sunday? We are just stopping by to see the baby and promise not to stay too long :) Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, congratulations Jer, That is so awesome that he came out so fast and relatively easily, kinda crazy to have him come out that fast. And Great job going natural! Natural isnt so bad when you start pushing, its amazing how the pushing itself acts like a drug. Hes a cute baby too!! I love all that hair, did Leah have a lot of hair and was it dark? It makes me excited to hurry and have mine. And even more fun will be when we can get together with all the babies. Jordan is planning on starting medical school in Yakima sept of 2011, so one more year here in CA and then we can get together ever so oft. Speaking of which do you think you'll be up to visitors in June? Since were all gonna be in the couve around the 10th maybe we could make it up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have very beautiful children. I love how Leah looks like Matt and so far I think Grant looks like you. They both seem so sweet! I'm also so glad it went so much better this time around. And the nursing! Yaeeee!

    ReplyDelete